Monday 28 September 2009

Michelangelo

Rounding out my recent Playmates collections is Michelangelo from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. At the time these were first released I was really unimpressed because I had seen the animated series first and these figures were a very poor match to it. Only later on did I start to think about them on their own merits.

Here is what the toy looks like:



Here is how he looked on the show:



There is certainly a big difference. In part my reevaluation was triggered by the re-release of the original toys for the 25th anniversary of the line. They actually looked pretty appealing on the display racks and the retro charm certainly factored in. After getting them out of their packaging I have to admit they are well sculpted and articulated. This discovery also spurred me on to get the first volume of the show on DVD, Now all I have to do is get on ebay and find a Krang.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey,
i thought it's worth pointing out that the playmates figures predated the show hence the difference.
anyhow, i prefer the look of the figures as they're more menacing.
i think that the color coding of the pads and the turtles themselves was also playmates' idea, which was a nice touch